16 September 2013

Crockpot Vegetarian Fajitas

**Update** I just made this recipe as a freezer to crockpot meal in preparation for the birth of our baby girl and it turned out fantastic! 

When making this recipe for dinner one night I just doubled the recipe and threw half the ingredients in the crockpot for dinner and the other half in a freezer safe zip top bag. To use, thaw in the fridge for 24 hours. Dump into crockpot and cook according to the recipe. 

We noticed two differences with the frozen versus fresh version of this recipe. First, the finished frozen recipe had so much more flavor than the fresh version. Second, the frozen recipe has much more liquid so I suggest draining after cooking but prior to serving. Enjoy!
 

I love trying new (pinterest!) recipes. 
I love proven family recipes that never fail. 
I love checking out stacks of cookbooks from the library just to spend evenings pouring (and drooling) over the pages.

Yep, it is safe to say that I love food and I'm starting enjoy the making of the food just as much as the eating. Ha. Almost.

I've learned that there are people/blogs I can trust for recipes, and others that I cannot. All it takes is a few pinterest recipes that look so good online but look so... not on your plate before you become a little cautious.

One group that has recently joined my trust list, are the girls over at Six Sisters' Stuff. I made their Easy No Bake Peanut Butter Bars and thought I had just been given the secret recipe to making a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. No lie. It was amazing!

Well these girls surely delivered when I was looking for a fast and easy way to do fajitas at home. These Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas were everything I was hoping for and more! 
 

After making this recipe a few times I have tweaked it each time to meet our tastes and to use items on hand. Here is our version!

Crockpot Vegetarian Fajitas
Yield: 8 fajitas 

3 roma tomatoes, diced
4 ounce can diced green chilies 

1 large green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1 medium onion, sliced
1 1/2 Tablespoon vegetable oil 
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder  
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt

Directions-
1. Spray crockpot with a thin coating of non-stick spray.

2. Add all of the above ingredients to the crockpot and mix with a large spoon until all vegetables are coated with oil and spices.

3.Set your crockpot to low to cook for 4-6 hours.

4. Serve with warmed tortillas, black beans, avocado, and sour cream.  

Notes-
-Nutritional information found here.

-I used one frozen bell pepper that I had sliced and frozen previously in the season, and one fresh pepper. Both turned out equally yummy in the final dish.

-The recipe for black beans was spread down the center of each tortilla, with the fajita mixture on top. This made the vegetarian dish much more filling.

-If you insist on meat: add 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch strips when adding the vegetables.

7 comments:

  1. I am new to the vegetarian scene and learning to like tofu. I was wondering if anyone has cut up some tofu into strips and tossed it in with this. Anyone? How did it turn out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In 5 years of being a vegetarian I never ate tofu at home, it's mushy and weird. I leave it to the experts with the amazing grills at the Asian restaurants I go to. And, if you care GMO products like so many do these days, like 90% of soy products produced in the U.S. are GMO. I use sliced portabella mushrooms in my fajitas, having something to chew on definitely makes you miss the meat less and it's delicious. I'm just not sure how well the mushrooms would do in the slow cooker...maybe add them an hour before it's done so they don't get mushy? I'll have to experiment.

      Delete
  2. I used meatless beef strips from trader joes and it was awesome! Also added a packet of taco seasoning in addition to spices listed above.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what other pepper could you use me a bells don't get along lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi- I tried this; just a few comments:

    1) Even with a generous portion of black beans I think getting 8 fajitas is unrealistic- I managed only 3

    2) I don't think It really makes sense to use a slow cooker for veggies like this- they lost all their crispness, it's simple to just stir-fry them, and you'll retain more flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tofu can be very good cooked at home but I fry it in a little oil until all the water is out and then it browns up nicely. If I was going to crockpot it I think I would fry it first. There is nothing worse than raw Tofu. Season it well too, with soy sauce or other sauces and spices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Place block of tofu on a dinner plate then invert a salad plate and place on top. Add a weight (can of beans...) and let sit for 10 min. Cube tofu to your size preference. Toss in marinade (could be taco seasoning for this recipe) along with olive oil and spread on baking sheet in a single layer. Bake at 375-400 degrees for 10 min. Flip the cubes. Bake for another 10-15 min. until golden brown. Tofu is versatile and easy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


blogger template by lovebird